November 14, 2016

History

EARLY HISTORY

The Creswick Primary School was established after gold was discovered in Creswick Creek in 1851. By 1854 the population had “ballooned” to over 5,000 residents.

On May 15th. 1854 Mrs. Marion M. Collins opened the Creswick Creek National School on the corner of Albert and Water Streets in Creswick on a one-acre allotment, fenced in and included a garden. This site is now occupied by the Town Hall and the Council Chambers.

EARLY HISTORY

The Creswick Primary School was established after gold was discovered in Creswick Creek in 1851. By 1854 the population had “ballooned” to over 5,000 residents.

On May 15th. 1854 Mrs. Marion M. Collins opened the Creswick Creek National School on the corner of Albert and Water Streets in Creswick on a one-acre allotment, fenced in and included a garden. This site is now occupied by the Town Hall and the Council Chambers.

NEW BUILDING

On January the 12th. 1874 the school moved to its present site in Napier Street.

On October the 9th. 1875 Night School was conducted for the first time between the hours of 7.30 – 9.30 pm. There were 63 enrollments for night school sessions. Night school catered for the needs of working students who wished to continue their education.

125TH YEAR CELEBRATIONS

Conducted over the weekend of October 4th. – 6th. 1999.

This was the 125th. anniversary of the school providing education for the students of Creswick from its present site. Celebrations were officially opened by Mr. Michael Ronaldson, M.H.R. for Ballarat.

150TH YEAR CELEBRATIONS

The 150th. anniversary of education in Creswick was celebrated on May 14th. and 15th. 2004.